Press "Enter" to skip to content

Up Your Vitamin D and Lower Your Risk of Cancer

Breast Cancer is the most common type of cancer among Indian women and accounts for 27% of all cancers among women. The number of breast cancer cases in the city of Bengaluru has risen over a period of time due to various medical reasons, according to India’s Deccan Chronicle.

At least 1 in 28 women is likely to develop breast cancer during their lifetime, and incidences of breast cancer are more likely to increase in urban areas than rural areas. Rates are 1 in 22 in urban areas and 1 in 60 in rural areas, the report said.

Mammograms, used to detect breast cancer, employ ionizing radiation that carries a risk of developing cancer and new 3-D mammography, also called breast tomosynthesis, uses more radiation to achieve sharper images.

There are a significant number of drawbacks to consistent mammograms, and recent research shows this test does not reduce your risk of death from the disease. After 10 mammograms you have a 50% to 60% risk of receiving a false positive result, which could be followed with further testing with more radiation or even treatment.

Ultrasound has been shown to be considerably superior to mammography, especially for women with dense breast tissue who are at a much higher risk of a false negative mammogram.

Cancer is largely a metabolic disease, not a genetic one. The genetic mutations observed in some cancers are a downstream effect of defective energy metabolism in the mitochondria (the energy stations inside your cells). As long as your mitochondria remain healthy and functional, your chances of developing cancer are slim.

Less than 10% of all breast cancer cases are thought to be related to genetic risk factors. The remaining 90% appear to be triggered by environmental factors.

An estimated 90% of Americans have flame-retardant chemicals in their bodies, and many studies have linked them to human health risks, including liver, kidney, testicular and breast cancers.

You may be able to prevent 75% to 90% of breast cancers through lifestyle changes such as reducing exposure to hazardous toxins, seeking out organic products, severely reducing refined sugar and fructose and limiting protein.

Higher levels of vitamin D are also associated with an increased likelihood of survival from breast cancer. In animal models, researchers have demonstrated breast cancer tumors are more likely to grow and metastasize faster in mice who are deficient in vitamin D.

The ideal way to optimize your vitamin D level is through sensible sun exposure, as there are many benefits to sun exposure that are unrelated to vitamin D. For instance, near-infrared rays from the sun stimulate your body to increase mitochondrial repair and regeneration.

If you live in a northern climate and have low vitamin D, taking an oral vitamin D3 supplement is certainly recommended. However, remember this is a far inferior way to optimize your levels. It’s also important to measure your vitamin D levels twice a year to make sure you’re within a healthy range.

If you are very fair skinned or have photodermatitis, any sun exposure may be unwanted. In that case, you should carefully measure vitamin D levels while ensuring you have an a/dequate intake of vitamin D, vitamin K2, magnesium and calcium. I’m really pleased GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute has expanded its research projects to include a range of different tests, seeing how deficiency may be needlessly affecting the health of so many. Like its Vitamin D*action Project, the Magnesium*PLUS Focus Project will allow us all to take action on known science with a consensus of experts without waiting for institutional lethargy.