Press "Enter" to skip to content

Michigan Man Dies After Falling Into Tank Of Sulfuric Acid

A 54-year-old man has died after falling into a tank of sulfuric acid in South Lyon.

According to police, the incident happened Saturday at Michigan Seamless Tube on McMann Street, south of 10 Mile Road, where the sulfuric acid used in a manufacturing process has a temperature of at least 160 degrees.

The company has a sign out front that reads, “Fooling around on the job is a job for fools.”

It is unknown how he fell in or how long the man was in the tank before he was pulled out by co-workers and quickly washed off.

He was rushed to University of Michigan Hospital just before 12:30 p.m. Saturday; and, according to South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik, succumbed to his injuries late Saturday evening.

Sovik said police have contacted the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration to look into the incident.

“We don’t believe there was any foul play or criminal matter to investigate,” Sovik told WWJ Newsradio 950. “It is closed on our end. MIOSHA will take it from here.”

CONTINUE @ WWJ